Wednesday 27 April 2016

Morning has broken

I finished reading this book yesterday. The Miracle Morning is basically a guide on how to make the most of your mornings so that you can kickstart your day and get stuff done. It is quite an easy read and it shows the author Hal Elrod's system that he created for himself that has turned his life around. He created the S.A.V.E.R.S system which I would like to go through today and give my opinion on it.

So, lets get into it.

First of all he says that should get up at 5am and do these things. Still interested? Yes those two letters and one numeral almost put me off too.

Now, this isn't in any particular order just following the SAVERS spelling but he suggests that you work out what the best order is for you. So that might mean that the exercise part is last. But that is up to you.

SAVERS

S is for Silence. This is for me, meditation. Of course other forms are fine like prayer. For me this is one of the most difficult things as you basically have to clear your mind. Not think of anything. For those of you out there who have never tried meditation that is bloody hard. Try sitting there for 5 minutes and not thinking of anything. I challenge you to sit there for 5 seconds. However, if you do it properly you can feel really good at the end. I will start with 5 minutes and hopefully hold it to ten minutes over time.

A is for Affirmations. I have heard various opinions on affirmations. Some people say they work, other people say they are terrible and they don't help you at all. Naturally I will save my opinion until a month or so. All I can say now is if you convince yourself that you are going to become what you want to become then I say that affirmations must play a role somewhere along the line and I'm willing to give it a go.

V is for Visualisation. The late Martin Crowe, the former New Zealand cricketer was big on visualisation. He would visualise his innings before he went out. He would see the the bowlers running into him and then him playing the appropriate shot. (I must admit that it must have been quite scary visualising Malcolm Marshall or Joel Garner running in at him) In our cases you might not be facing the nasty fasties of the 1980's but you can still visualise yourself making that sale, penning that deal, building the business.

E is for, yes you guessed it Exercise. This morning I went to the gym because the 7.30 class suited my schedule today but I would look to do two rounds of Tabata. Maybe squats and sit ups. That takes about ten minutes and you get a really good work out. For those if you who don't know what Tabata is, it's 20 seconds of exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest for 4 minutes. 8 rounds in total. I think that it is really suitable for The Miracle Morning. You should give it a try. You can see a video with music that will guide you here. Don't worry, you don't have to do the same exercises as this guy.

R is for Reading. He suggests to read for ten minutes. My friend and I have been doing this for 5 or 6 years. Reading and then commenting on what we have read and sending it to each other. You do get to read quite a few books over the course of the year and at cocktail parties you have a lot to talk about. So, pick up a book and read it.

S is for scribing. Basically this is journalling where you write down your thoughts and concerns. In the old days it was called keeping a diary. These days it is called journalling. I thought that this blog would be the same as journalling but I was reliably informed that that is not the case. Anyway, you just need to write down stuff for 10 minutes. It goes quickly, believe me.

There you have it Hal Elrod's Miracle Morning. I suggest you get a hold of his book and have a read and then tell me how it goes. I hope you get the results you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment